BASIC JOB PURPOSE: The Pediatrician participates in the direction and provision of medical services and maintaining standards of care in the pediatric department and the care of hospitalized pediatric patients.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Vice President / CMO.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Collaborates with and provides medical consultation for pediatric patients of advanced nurse practitioners.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires 80% or more of time spent standing/walking. Independently mobile. Requires full range of motion, manual and finger dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires normal visual acuity and hearing. Ability to occasionally transfer and position patients, reposition equipment, and lift supplies weighing up to 50 pounds. Ability to adapt and function in varying environments of workload, worksites and work shifts.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a clinic setting. Contact with patients and staff.
Exposed to communicable disease, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Requires working under stress, in emergency situations or during irregular hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This may not be all inclusive.)
- Provides leadership and direction of pediatric medical services.
- Provides medical back-up for advance practice nurses as indicated.
- Provides direct patient care, case management, consultation and collaboration with other team members in the provision of health care at Grace Health and Bronson Battle Creek Hospital within the scope of their specialty.
- Ensures continuity of care by sharing in providing after hours emergency call coverage and attending medical staff and pediatric department meetings and scheduling medical practitioners for coverage.
- Maintains professional association with the hospital medical staff, promoting Grace Health programs on both a group and individual basis.
- Participates in call coverage arrangement as necessary for patient care.
- Participates in continuing development of nurse practitioners and medical staff through the provision of in-service and other training opportunities.
- Participates in the promotion of educational settings and experiences for the practice of medicine, nursing and health related fields.
- Participates in quality improvement activities which may include literature review, development of standards of care/protocols, chart reviews, data analysis, and action plans.
- Conducts medical practice utilizing ancillary and pharmacy services with appropriate cost effectiveness when appropriate.
- Participates in the recruitment, orientation and retention of all medical practitioners as indicated.
- Participates in peer review activities.
- Although each position has its own unique duties and responsibilities, please refer to the policy on Job Descriptions for details that apply to every position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of professional medical theory, practice, and medical care to provide and evaluate patient care.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations, and procedures to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional medicine to provide ongoing patient care.
- Skill in taking medical history to assess medical condition and interpret findings.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality improvement.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines/procedures relevant to medical practice in a FQHC.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of medicine (MD, DO or equivalent medical degree from a non-US medical school)
Completion of an accredited MD or DO residency in Pediatrics
Experience: Three years of experience in area of specialty preferred
Hospital Privileges: May require full clinical privileges in Pediatrics at Bronson Battle Creek Hospital
Certificate/Licenses: Current Michigan Medical license
Board Certified or Board eligible with timely progress to certification
Current Controlled Substances License
Current DEA Certificate
Current BCLS certification
Current PALS certification, if required
ACCOMMODATION: Grace Health has the right to modify the duties and functions of the job description based on the needs of the organization.
JOB DESCRIPTION REVIEW: This job description will be reviewed and updated, if necessary, during the employee’s annual review.
FLSA: Exempt position